What’d I Miss? – Sunday Roundup
During the Fall 2012-2013 season I’m going to do a recap of the best shows during the week. I can guarantee Grimm will have a permanent place on this recap as I’m addicted and so far this year it’s been well deserving of its place on the roundup. This week is going to be a little sparse since there is only four shows that were new and part of the 2012-2013 lineup.
And here is my disclaimer: This is a review article. Due to that there may be spoilers…who am I kidding…there will be spoilers in the blurbs below. If you haven’t watched the shows and hate being spoiled please do not continue to read this blog. Thank you.
(1) Grimm – Bad Moon Rising
- This wasn’t my favorite of Grimmepisodes. It opened up with a young girl being kidnapped by what we later learn are coyotls. Now I don’t very much like coyotes so perhaps that was my dislike of this episode. Or it could have been the fact that this young 17-year-old girl was kidnapped to participate in an old coyotl tradition where she is introduced to the pack…erm…inappropriately with each male coyotl of the pack having his turn. I’m going to say it was the later reason. The writers did a decent job overall with the episode (though here is my official petition that Captain Renard be given more air time) and there were some great one-liners. Hank, Nick’s Portland PD partner, finally learned the truth and I’m glad. I hated that Hank didn’t know and Nick never felt like he should know. Nick is becoming much more badass and I appreciate that. I like his character much more now. I also liked that his mother wasn’t in this episode. She’s a little too much for me.Next week’s episode ‘Quill’ looks awesome. A disease among the Wesen? Yes, but poor Rosalee. Her and Monroe also get cozy which means we finally have what’s been coined as a “Monroe-mance.” They make a great couple.
(2) The Mindy Project – Pilot
- This is a new comedy the premieres September 25th on FOX at 9:30/8:30c. Hulu and FOX have been previewing the episode and I thought I’d take advantage. It took me a few hours to get through the episode. I’d stop it when I got annoyed and watch something else (White Collar). To be fair I watched the episode again in full and it’s not terrible. Mindy Kaling stars as a 30-year-old OB/GYN who is lucky in her career, but devastatingly terrible at love. I was able to relate to the character so it made the show a little more bearable, but the show is a little too quirky for my tastes. Though I’ll give it a shot when it starts later this month.
(3) Ben and Kate – Pilot
- I loved New Girl when it premiered last year and I’m happy it’s coming back for a second season. With that said I don’t know if FOX is assuming that quirky is in or not. Zooey Deschanel brings certain flair to New Girl unfortunately Nat Faxon who plays Ben just annoys me. He reminds me too much of Napoleon Dynamite. Maggie Elizabeth Jones is incredibly cute. The show is about a man (Ben/Nat Faxon) who comes in and out of his sister (Kate/Dakota Johnson) until he receives a call from his ex-girlfriend. He learns that Darcy (his ex girlfriend) is getting married and he plans to stop it. Hilarity is assumingly supposed to ensue, but I missed it. The entire cast is held up by a seven-year old playing 5-year-old Maddie Fox (Jones). I need a few episodes before I can adequetly comment on this show. It premieres September 25thon FOX at 8:30/7:30c. This was another show that FOX previewed early.
(4) Doctor Who – Asylum of the Daleks
- Wow. I remember why I love Doctor Who so much and keep going back. I’ve watched the entire series now at least 3 times. I’m addicted and it’s easy to tell why. I was devastated when David Tennant hung up his sonic screwdriver as our loveable tenth doctor and I wasn’t entirely sure Matt Smith could pull the role off. He proved me wrong last season and I’m all the more glad for it.The start of season 7 is wow. Just wow. The teasers just didn’t do it justice. The Doctor, Amy, and Rory are taken hostage by the Doctor’s most notorious enemies. It’s action packed and humorous as any Doctor Who episode. Next week’s looks just as promising.
Stay tuned for next week’s “What’d I Miss – Sunday Roundup.”