Last week Marvel teased us with the following teaser:
At Marvel’s live blog on their next big thing they revealed that the teaser image will be a ten issue mini series for the Age of Ultron beginning in March 2013. This is an event which has been teased for two years in Avengers #5, Avengers #12.1 which was re-released this past Free Comic Book Day and 2011′s Marvel Point One one-shot and the final teaser being the binary code above last week. Here’s the facts on Marvel’s next big event:
- 10 issue limited series with the first issue shipping in March 2013 and the last in June 2013.
- March will see three issues, April three issues.
- Bryan Hitch will be the artist on the first 5 issues only.
- While the last 5 issues will have by Brandon Peterson and Carlos Pacheco
- The series will mostly self contained however there will be tie in issues from the Fantastic Four and Superior Spider-Man and a prologue in The Avengers #12.1
- The tie in issues will have supplemental numbers similar to the Point One Innitiative e.g. #6AU
- This is a Marvel Universe Event and not just an Avengers Event and will focus on a group of Resistance Fights: small group of resistance fighters—including Invisible Woman, Taskmaster, Beast, Emma Frost, She-Hulk, Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Wolverine and Moon Knight.
This event although similar in name to the Age of Apocalypse, Tom Brevoort has confirmed this will not be a an alternate reality and will be a massive event set in the Marvel Universe which will see Ultron has enslaved the whole of the Marvel Universe from the first page, Axel Alonso, Editor In Chief, Marvel Entertainment had this to say about the event:
“From the very first page, readers will see the unthinkable – Ultron has won.In a world where we’ve learned to depend on technology to sustain us, what would happen if one villain found a way to turn it against us? In order to survive, the world’s greatest super heroes will have to make drastic choices whose ramifications will be felt throughout the Marvel Universe. This is a story so huge that we’re shipping the entire ten issue series from March through June so fans don’t have to wait more than a few weeks between issues.”
Bendis also confirmed that this event will also have a shocking ending in the final pages of the this mini series so big that only six people at Marvel know what it is and they use code words to talk about it. They even invited the press to make their guesses on what the ending would be.
Marvel have sent us these preview pages of the up and coming event: